Sunday, March 6, 2011

For Huey and Betty

I love my grandparents dearly. I have been blessed for 21 years to know Huey, my fathers father, and Betty, my fathers mother. This summer, my grandfather passed away. I was 460 miles away from home in Dallas, Texas when he passed, and I was unable to attend his funeral. I have not been brave enough yet to visit his graveside, because I know deep down that I am not ready to let go of him. One thing that I will carry with me until I die is the love that they shared. Tonight, as I write this blog and share this poem, they are heavy on my heart. Even though I would trade away four years of college for just one more day with my Him, I know that he is at home in Heaven, away from all the suffering and pain that plagued his last two years.

Huey and Betty, this poem is for you, as a reminder of happier times.


I have all these words in my head to tell you how I feel, and yet words are not enough.
Everything I try to say and want to say just comes out in a mess of tangled words “beautiful…amazing…lovely…” with no structure by which to show  you that I care.
But then, there’s that thing you do. Where you turn your head to the side and smile that crooked smile and I catch the sun in your eyes, and despite my bumbling and stumbling, it’s like you’re saying to me “I love you, too. And I will always be here. Don’t you worry about a thing.” I guess I should realize that after fifty years of marital bliss, you can read my mind, and I don’t have to say a thing.

Love,
Your Grandson

No comments: