Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why are you downcast, O my soul? (A Poem)

Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why do you fall so easily?
I’ll tell you why.
You are weak, and fickle and full of lust
And you don’t trust those who love you
You think that you can do everything by yourself
But then you get to feeling like you do now
And you feel so alone and would take a life for a way out.
You’re looking to score and no, not in sports.
You’d kill for the whisky that takes the pain away
Or a joint just to kill the voices
You’d trade the progress you’ve made so far for the kiss of that whores mouth
Just so you could feel somebody close.
And so I ask again, why are you downcast, O my soul?
You don’t trust the man that saved you
And so you tie on your spandex cape
And you try to play the hero
But it never works does it?
You can’t stop the bullets that piece you to the core
And you can’t stop that thundering train that is racing toward you
And so to comfort yourself, you’ll retreat even more
Losing more and more of the few days you have left.
And so I ask again, why are you downcast, O my soul?

No comments: