Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Some Poetry: "The Hostage" and "Looking for God"

The Hostage:




I remember the encounter well
It is the story that I now tell.
There I stood, atop the ledge
With all devices in my hand;
Gun and rope and wire and knife.
I was prepared to take my life
The man below spoke soft and slow
He was a man I did not know.
Minutes in, I knew that man did I oppose.
For no friend of peace was I, I know.
The ledge now gone, a memory.
I am grateful for the life I do now lead
For the outcome I am thankful.
Indeed, guns sometimes tell messy stories
But that’s not the tale you’ll hear from me.
For that day upon the ledge, the man who talked me down, the victory he won.
For it was God who said “Let’s talk-just put down your gun.”

(based on a section of this interview with C.S. Lewis http://www.cbn.com/special/Narnia/articles/ans_LewisLastInterviewA.aspx)

Looking for God:

I wonder if we are all looking for God
And mistake it too often for freedom.
We leave small town life
For the lust of city lights
The lie we buy says that we are better than most
As we set out to make our claim, our claim amongst the steel and concrete temples of New Amsterdam, that never sleeping giant.
.
After all my years were spent, I found that life would not relent;
And so I died with dreams unmet and not fulfilled. Life became
Redundancy, looking for God in places he was not
So in the grave my body slept, my soul retreating to the depths.

I wonder if we are all
Looking for God where he is not at all
Like freedom or New Amsterdam.

(Based on a tweet by Jamie Tworkowski. You can follow him on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/jamietworkowski

"To be young in New York or anywhere. Everyone doing what they want and calling it freedom. i wonder if we're all just looking for God."-Jamie Tworkowski

No comments: